Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Song of the Day: David Bromberg - Sharon (With An Appearance By the Beastie Boys)

Photo: Jim McGuire


David Bromberg - Sharon

this cut is from a small, but effective, collection - The Player: A Retrospective

So here we have a tune, a fav that I had forgotten about until my pal Jimmy (that sonofabitch is introducing and re-introducing me to music all the time, thank God I met him) laid it on me not too long ago. Bromberg, considered to be a "musician's musician" was the cat that played with all the other dudes that we have come to know and love so well, like Bob Dylan, Jerry Garcia, Phil Lesh, and many, many more - all of whom would come out to jam on his own projects. This song's got Jerry and Phil jamming along with him - which is one of the many reasons why it's so damn awesome (that and the fact that the song is amazing).

Not only was he respected in his own circles and by people of the folk/blues/older rock genre; the respect traveled down and he's influenced people like my sweethearts, The Beastie Boys.


They sample this song in the song Johnny Ryall, which is the first thing I thought of when I was listening to this over at Jim's crib. They sample various parts of it. Considering that Paul's Boutique is considered by many to be the quintessential breakthrough album for the B-Boys in terms of their their ascension to new musical boundaries, I'd say they picked a winner to work with.

David Bromberg has a new album that came out in February called Try Me One More Time, which I have to admit I have yet to pick up - but I will. Not only is it good to support a musician that is coming out to share his roses with the world after a while, but I hear it's a damn good effort. One fellow blogger has posted something about it over at These Things Too, I suggest you check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Tamazu: Humor observations blogs


This site is a member of WebRing. To browse visit here.


BM Counter