Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Song of the Day: Tears for Fears - Head Over Heels


Tears for Fears - Head Over Heels

One great album this is on is Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits 82-92)


Another fabulous album to catch this cut on is the Donnie Darko Sountrack

I always loved this band. What is it with the 80's nostalgia that I've been grooving on in my Song of the Day for a while? Well, it's really not just recently...I'm a product OF the 80's, man - and although I have extremely diverse musical tastes, I have a lotta love for that decade - the good tunes, anyway, LOL.

After Curt Smith left the band after their third album, they kind of fell off the radar a bit - at least for me - and I know for many others as well.



Then came the movie Donnie Darko in 2001, which brought about a surge of interest in Tears for Fears again, due to the use of the song Head Over Heels (during a really great montage) and a re-make of Mad World. If you haven't seen that flick - SEE IT. It's intense, bizarre, and worthy of its Cult status.

The band got back together in 2004 to record Everybody Loves a Happy Ending, more of a Beatles-esque endeavor that was enjoyable, but somehow missing the angst of what made their previous work together so beautiful. Something about love, depression, emotional upheaval, and the insecurities of the human medium - I think that's what made this band so popular. Their lyrics went beyond sexual pop (not that I'm knocking sexual pop - I'm all about it); and took the listener into murkier, yet more sensually delightful lyrical ballads.

This song is also rather poignant for my life right now...hmm.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Tamazu: Humor observations blogs


This site is a member of WebRing. To browse visit here.


BM Counter