Saturday, August 25, 2007

Song of the Day: Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science

Photo: Dominik Fusina


Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science
from the album The Golden Age of Wireless

This is a song that always inspires three things in me: fond memories of The 80's and the music that came out of that decade, a desire to get up and dance, and a delight in all things techno and electronic.

One great moment this song had for me growing up was when my family would take me and my brother Michael up to our country house near Woodstock, NY. Up there, we had no television; so Mike and I would play tunes from the radio and dance our asses off. I remember this song specifically as one where he really showed me a lot of the dance moves that I use when I go to clubs now and boogie...it was one of our bonding moments for me growing up as a child and pre-teen because we lived in separate homes (shared the same father, but were half-siblings) so these weekends or weeks up in the summer house were such a treat for me to be around Big Brother Michael.

The song itself is awesome to me on other levels, too; it's sexy as all hell; even within it's 80's/Dolby synthesized self is a funky grooviness that makes one's hips want to move - either on the dance floor or in bed. The whole "science" thing is great, too; Dolby championed that throughout his career, being a tech geek who had a good ear for music. This has continued; it was only a year ago that Gizmodo.com made mention of his music-gear geekiness that was so ultimately awesome.

A stop-over at Dolby's site shows that he is currently on tour - he's coming to NY in September - and will be at BB King's. I have tickets to many shows already, so I doubt I will go, but I'm sure that it will be a great gig...

If anyone goes, let me know how it is!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Tamazu: Humor observations blogs


This site is a member of WebRing. To browse visit here.


BM Counter