Sunday, September 24, 2006

Song of the Day: Violent Femmes - Add It Up



Violent Femmes - Add It Up
from the album Violent Femmes

As a total product of the 80's, I remember dancing in front of the mirror singing along to this song one day when my Mom walked in the room... I was what, 10? I don't know how long she was standing there, listening to her 4th-grader thrash around singing "Why can't I get just one fuck?" until she tapped me on the shoulder and asked, horrified, "What the HELL are you listening to?"

She had the rest of the 80's to ask that same question many times over...I think I'll hit a few of those beloved songs that gave my mother gray hair in the coming week.

What I wasn't able to explain at the time was that I was listening to what would soon be known as one of the staples of youth angst for my generation - and for many generations to come. Hell, it's just damn good music, and I can relate as much to it now as I could when I was in my teens...
I'm not sure how much I related to the angst part at age 10; I think that was more just because it was on the radio a lot and I thought it was cool. At that time boys were interesting, but I wasn't quite concerned with wanting to get into their pants...or why I couldn't get just ONE screw.

Now, that's a different story. LOL

5 Comments:

Blogger Maritza said...

You were 10?!!! I was twenty something!! Love them. You should hear Gnarls Barkley's cover of VF songs.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Billychic said...

I'm so not hip to music out now...I need to change that. Quick. I see signs for Gnarls Barkley, and may have heard the music but didn't know it...I certainly havent' heard a VF cover - I HAVE to hear it...
The name Gnarls Barkley...I thought it was a group of teens with a fascinations for Basketball...lol

Yeah, I was 10. But you look younger than me, so what the hell...lol

9:49 AM  
Blogger Sudiegirl said...

I sympathize, Maritza...I was in college (18) when I first heard the Femmes.

I haven't been the same since, thank God!

Good choice for Song Of The Day, Billychic...have you heard the Femmes' version of "Eep Opp Ork Ah Ah" from "The Jetsons"? It so rocks...Give it a listen, or I can send you the mp3 file.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Billychic said...

Hey, thanks! I'm going to try to find it - I'll let you know if I can't. That sounds like LOTSA fun.

;)

3:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was just wondering if you could send me your mp3 file of Eep, Opp, Ork, Ah-Ah ?

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Tamazu: Humor observations blogs


This site is a member of WebRing. To browse visit here.


BM Counter