Sunday, May 28, 2006

YAL: From My Listening - Billie Holiday's Strange Fruit

YAL: From My Listening

I was reading YAL earlier today, and caught an entry that I had missed, where she posted what she was listening to: Billie Holiday's Strange Fruit.

I hadn't thought of that song for a little while, and it reminded me that I need to pull out my Billie collection, a glass of wine, and give myself the luxury of indulging in the poetry that Billie shared with all of us. The imagery of lynchings in the deep south that is brought about so powerfully in the poetic yet horrific lines - crooned with her lovely voice, making it one of the most eerie and important songs to come out of the 20th century.

According to Songfacts.com, when this song first came out it was "denounced by [Time Magazine] as a 'piece of musical propaganda.'"

The irony is that in 1999 Time voted it the Song of the Century. The times, they are a-changin'. Hopefully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Tamazu: Humor observations blogs


This site is a member of WebRing. To browse visit here.


BM Counter