Sunday, August 20, 2006

Book Geekery: A (Small) List of My Favorite Books

Maritza (Jump In the Ocean) tagged me on her blog to list some of my favorite books. She has listed some that sound rather yummy. Please go by and check out her blog Jump In the Ocean; she is a great blogger with an enjoyable site. She's also a really cool chick.

This is somewhat difficult, because I have QUITE a few, but here goes; I'm including books that I haven't read in YEARS, but whose pages effected me even to this day:

1) Faeries - by Brian Froud
This is a book that is basically an encyclopedia of the various kinds of Faeries that exist in the world. The illustrations are gorgeous and it reads matter-of-factly about the legends and lore - and takes you into the world. I first read this when I was 9 years old. When I found out that I had an opportunity to write to the author, I sent him a letter letting him know that I really believed in Faeries and appreciated his book because "...a 9 3/4 year old needs to know the different kinds of Fairies that are out there in case I run into them."
He wrote me back a very kind letter and asked me to always believe. The beauty he brought to that book has always stayed with me.

2)Dubliners - by James Joyce
A collection of stories by Joyce that exemplify the beauty of his writing. I think it's a must for any writer, because these stories are rich with the simple art of telling a story - the "show, not tell" if you will, that so many writers strive for and miss. My favorite story is "An Encounter," about a boy's day off with his friend and their encounter with a pedophile. That word is never used, of course, but simply from the behavior of the characters and the beauty of the writing, you gather so much.
One great site that lists the TOC from this book as well as the text, is this one.

3)It - by Stephen King
The classic Stephen King novel about a group of friends and the monster that tried to destroy them as children...and whose return calls them back as adults. Again, another novel that inspired my writing. King's characters are so damn vivid they come off the page; the little details of the entire surroundings are amazing.

4)Naked - by David Sedaris
A book of essays by one of the funniest writers ever. This collection made me laugh out loud so many times...it's classic. Hilarious stuff about what it's like being Sedaris.

5) Neuromancer - William Gibson
The classic cyberpunk novel. What inspired the Matrix and opened the doorway between science fiction, the information age, and the internet. A must for anyone who is a tech geek and sci-fi nut.

6) The Crying of Lot 49 - Thomas Pynchon
A beatnik-y satire that focuses on a worldwide conspiracy - and the growth of one woman who feels like she's either losing her mind or getting swept up in the heart of the conspiracy.

7) Junky - William S. Burroughs
The classic first-hand account of drug addiction and homosexuality in the 1950's, by one of the founding fathers of the Beat Movement.

8) Interview With the Vampire - Anne Rice
The poetry that rice uses in her tale of the Vampire and the humanity that she gives to him, and the rich world that she creates in New Orleans changed the way that I looked at writing about horror...There is a sexuality and sensuality that she adds to her writing that is so important in this genre - at least when dealing with this topic.

9) Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
I read this when I was 12 years old. I think, in respect to my love life, the rest is history...lol. Classic tale of Humbert Humbert, the man in his 40's who falls in love with a 12-year-old girl. Told from his point of view, he is attracted to pre-pubescent girls who are supposedly very aware of their sexuality. He meets Lolita and her mother and marries the mother in an attempt to be closer to the girl.

10) The Fermata - Nicholson Baker
The protagonist is a geek who has learned how to stop time with simple motions (like shoving his glasses on his nose). He uses this ability mainly to become a voyeur and find an outlet for his over-charged sexual desires. Reminiscent of Henry Miller novels, I love this because it combines erotica, humor, and sci-fi.


Okay, I could keep going, but I'd never finish (I've been working on this on and off for quite a while now). Obviously there are many more books I love, I've been reading since I was a wee tot...

I hereby tag:

1) Pendullum at Dribblingwit
2) Aspie Goddess at Aspie Goddess
3) NYC Beauty at Views From A Broad

Let the games begin!!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am digging your taste in books. I love Stephen King and Clive Barker myself. If you love It, then I definately recommend The Dark Tower series by King. Trust me, you won't be sorry.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Maritza said...

Gee, I get to hang out with the cool girls! Yay!

I was going to add "Dubliners" and the "Dark Tower" series by S. King but needed to keep the list short. Sedaris' "Me Talk Pretty" is one of my favorites too.

I need to add to my list or start a book blog. Thanks for playing and the very nice comments!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Wertkin said...

Uh oh....I'm nervous. And I have doubles of yours....
xoxoxo
me

7:57 PM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

Ohhhh...
I am going to have to work on this...
It is great to see what other people read... and then say...That's why I like her!!!
We come on the same brainwave!!!
David Sedaris rules ...
And the book of Faeries... I JUST gave it to my 8 year old daughter...(and what a precious thing... writing the author and him writing back.. That is brilliant!)
I will get to work on this... and hope to come up with my list in the next couple of days...

12:15 PM  
Blogger MKM said...

You are welcome and thank you... Unlike a couple of the other links I included regarding the book meme, our readers may actually have some interests in common.

Best, M

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Tamazu: Humor observations blogs


This site is a member of WebRing. To browse visit here.


BM Counter