Sunday, June 25, 2006

Technology Slowin' Me Down...

I was eternally stoked that several people had been checking my site today - but that joy was replaced by horror when I realized that the little outbound link tracker thingie, MyBlogLog, that I had thought was so cool was actually preventing people from getting onto my site today (as of, say, I dunno, four hours ago?).

I found it on another cool blog, and it is a neat little blogging tool: it highlights the most clicked links on your page and ranks them in order of popularity. It's just another set of bells and whistles, but hey, since I'm a kid anyway, bells and whistles really do it for me, ya know?

However, I didn't realize that someone has to go through their server before they can actually hit Blogger's server - and therein lies the Apocolypse Now horror of finding out that what you thought was groovy is actually detrimental to your site. If you decide to sign up with something fun and technologically groovy, be sure those bastards have plenty of bandwidth.

Once I realized what was up, I removed that code faster than you can say "Mimosas During Sunday Brunch".

It's not to say that I won't use it again, because it is visually cool, but the whole point is that people can get onto my site, not have it look like a fucking carnival when they get there.

My end point? Back to business as usual, sorry the site was MIA for a few hours. I'm learning, I swear.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How annoying for you. Glad you got it figured out, though.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Eric Marcoullier said...

Heya -- we are very, very sorry for the screwup yesterday. We take these matters very seriously and have worked from day one to ensure that things like this can't happen because of us. We have built multiple "timeouts" into the system which are supposed to keep your site live if we go down.

In this case, our hosting provider (where we have 17 servers and bandwidth galore ) had massive DNS issues. We hadn't planned for that but are already looking into multiple solutions to ensure that a similar failure won't happen again.

I hope you'll consider using MyBlogLog again in the future.

Cheers!
Eric

9:48 AM  
Blogger Billychic said...

Ah, all is good.

I will use you guys again soon. It's definitely a very interesting and useful tool.

Good luck with getting it fixed.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Tamazu: Humor observations blogs


This site is a member of WebRing. To browse visit here.


BM Counter